NIAB EMR - the UK’s leading centre for horticultural research
Fruits of our labours
- Promote the international significance of the scientific work undertaken by East Malling Research (EMR) to the horticulture industry, stakeholders and DEFRA.
- Strengthen industry and public awareness of the role of the East Malling Trust as the UK’s largest independent funder of horticultural research.
- Position EMR as integral to the UK’s food security challenge and showcase how its scientists are playing an active role in helping the country adapt to climate change.
Results and highlights
- Securing the visit of the Secretary of State for DEFRA to EMR successfully raised the organisation’s profile and nurtured its relationship with the industry and press, and generated subsequent meetings at the House of Commons.
- Briefing the press and focusing on the scientific advancements has generated significant and invaluable media coverage, including the BBC’s Breakfast News, Radio 4 Today programme, Countryfile and Inside Out South East, as well as other national, trade and regional media.
- Key projects have included promoting the Sainsbury’s concept conference pear orchard demonstrating the latest production techniques.
- Other visits have been hosted with the Minister for the South East, other Defra ministers, EMR’s local MP and the Associate Parliamentary British Fruit Industry Group.
- East Malling Research is now at the heart of the debate on the future of scientific research in the country – and the media is now courting comment.
- Senior representatives from EMR are now actively invited to attend significant industry forums and taskforces, including meetings with the government’s key scientific advisers.
Media relations, Public affairs, Community relations, Corporate communications, Reputation management